Thursday, September 30, 2010

Passion

You know math teachers always get this bad name...like they are the most boring teachers on the face of the planet.  Well clearly you all never had a good math teacher.  I had 3, now I've had my bad ones as previously talked about, and one here at Luther, but the good ones...they are the only reason I ever wanted to continue working hard at least at math...you know the subject that we all dread.  Anyway, my favorite one was my junior and senior calculus teacher.  And maybe I liked her so much because it was a class with all my friends, but truly she made math interesting.  She was a woman teaching the highest level math offered at my high school and that inspired me.  She wanted to prove to us that we could do whatever we wanted in whatever we wanted.  It wasn't just about math with her...but she was passionate about math...she taught us how it applied to the outside world and so much more.

However, I have had my share of teachers that make their subjects so boring that it steers me away...but for some reason I'm just that person who likes to learn.   Other teachers told us we couldn't succeed at what they were doing...I still have teachers like that. 

I think that most of us benefit from having passionate teachers...but then again, I'm not sure it truly matters.  I never had a teacher who was passionate about music and encouraged us to explore all sorts of music until I came to Luther, and yet I was always planning to be a music major.  It's probably better for the teachers sanity if they are teaching something they are passionate about but as for the students...especially young ones, they don't even know what passion is, they just want to learn in a way that is fun and worthwhile.

In other news, I get coffee in less than 9 hours, beware Luther College.

No comments:

Post a Comment